2006-11-09

Bow tie

I see an occasional guy in a bow tie around Wall St. They're not as popular as suspenders, but certainly more common than top hats -- I haven't seen anyone wearing a top hat in days. So when I see one of these guys with the bow tie, I can't help but wonder: At what point in his life does a man begin wearing a bow tie?

Can a guy wear a necktie to the office for years and then one day just show up in a bow tie? That would be a long day of answering the same question. How would you begin to explain it? How do you explain it to your wife?? You might as well tell her that you're changing your name. Or your religion. No, I think you're either born a bow tie person, or not.

I must admit that I make snap judgments about the guys that I see wearing them; They fall into one of two groups -- comedians or pompous assholes. In my experience* these judgments have been correct nearly 100% of the time -- and I don't know any comedians.

You should never trust anybody who wears a bow tie. Cravat's supposed to point down to accentuate the genitals. Why'd you wanna trust somebody whose tie points out to accentuate his ears?
- David Mamet, State and Main

By the way, I might as well plug this great website which has the answer to every clothing/etiquette question you'll ever have.

* Lark excluded

3 comments:

Jenni said...

I would agree with your assessment -- with the exception of one elder at my church -- he's a federal bankruptcy judge and I think just likes to be different. Not a comedian, nor a pomous ass. Most guys in bow ties are just freaks.

kenny said...

Guess I'll take off my bow tie now...

Anonymous said...

I have to admit that I have actualy considered integrating the bow tie into my business attire.

Think of me as a wanna-be comedian who isn't smart enough to be a pompous ass.

This all started when I learned how to tie a bow tie for when I wear my tux (Kelly's job forces me into multiple formal events every year).

For me, it's not about making a fashion statement - it's about showing every one that I know how to tie a bow tie . . . oh, wait . . . I guess that would make a me a pompous ass . . . nevermind!